Tuesday 12 April 2011

Turnaround

Some great news for me today. I recently changed jobs at the end of December and took over two teams.
The teams where failing against their SLA and KPI targets. The latest stats through show both teams now in SLA.
1 team was only 10% off and the other about 25% off target before I took them on.
Managed to turn it around by doing the simple things, getting the basics right.
1) Set a clear remit of the team and the boundaries of interactions with other teams.
2) Defined the processes of team
3) Defined the daily tasks to ensure the work got done.
4) Set reports in motion to find root cause of the issues and trend analysis. This showed us where the issues lied in the team and how to address it. Could measure the success and un wrap the layers of problems one at a time to gain constant improvements.
5) Begin to gain trust by following through on the actions and feedback.
Have turned around the teams in 3 months. I have learnt what I could have done better. Next time it will only take 2 months!!!
My lessons are chase the i.t. quicker as a full month before I had any reports which is the foundations of measuring success and finding failure.
Listen more, people had raised issues that I didn't act upon as quickly as I could have, probably lost a couple of weeks.
Integrate quicker with peer managers.
Met team quicker. Unfortunately with it being late December and the snow this one was out of my control.
Overall happy.
Lots of other improvements still in the pipeline I wonder what the next 3 months will bring.

No comments: