Tuesday 13 November 2007

NLP blog why?

Most the sites on the internet are for businesses selling consultancy or over priced training course. I have written this blog based on my experiences and the studying I have carried out on the subject of management. My angle of management is one of an engineer owing to the fact it was my job leading into management. Some years ago and decided to take the engineering approach to the problem. If for example I had a technical problem or a new technology to learn as an engineer I would study books, go on the courses, practice and implement the knowledge to resolve my current issue. So I did the same for management, I decided what I would need to learn to be a good manager and researched, studied the books, did the course and practice at work. Firstly, I had to decided what skills a good manager would have.

1) Communication skills

2) Business strategy

3) Management skills – Admin, organisation, time management, presentation skills, coaching/mentoring, finance.

4) Politics – Like it or not politics are a huge part of modern day working. Best to have the knowledge and skills to at least prevent yourself falling foul of other people politics and dirty tricks.

Starting with communication skills and studied a number of different areas which mostly came under the banner of NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming).NLP covered body language, language patterns, hypnosis, embedded language, behaviour modelling, sensory patterns and other areas more closely linked to personal therapy. I also studied areas on Influence and persuasion, which is more to do with the psychology of human nature. This covers the 7 laws of influence and how they can be used.

Next, I studied Strategy in its many forms, but mostly it boiled down to military strategy that in recent years has been adapted for other areas such career, sales, marketing and business. I studied some of the most famous classical books of strategy such “Art of War”, by Sun Tzu. From here I read the books the Art of War is based on, “Master of the Demon valley” & “Master of the empty store house”. Also the “The book of Five Rings” By Miyamoto. These books led me on to read some modern interpretations and niche strategy books such as the Art of Career (based on the Art of War). The Art of the Advantage, Seven Strategic principles for managers and 7 gold keys to success. All these books had common themes that helped me focus my attention at work, helped me work more efficiently and plan out a career strategy. Plus bring strategic principles into the work I have done in the team I led.

I realised I need to have a greater grasp of the skills of my trade in management so I used the companies training schemes and resource libraries to study and train up on these keys areas. Coach and mentoring courses to help me develop the best from the team. This combined with my new communications skills and strategic understanding helped me get the best out of the team. Admin organisation, holidays, team meetings, sick leave, development plans, paper work etc. You must be able to perform this task efficiently as they are the main aspects and reasons you are employed. Learn to do them efficiently as it’s you core foundation, which you can build on with communication skills, politic and strategy.

Politics. I came to this area much later than the others, but I know realise it’s the missing key to linking into the other areas already discussed. Studied “The prince” and “Discourses” by Niccolo Machiavelli. Also read a number of office politics books that discuss modern day tricks and stratagems in office politics. As you probably guessed there is a strong link between politics and strategy. In strategy we talk about the environment, in war this will be the hills, mountains, lake, river that effect create the rules of engagement etc. In work it would be the culture of the company, it’s history and office politics as rising from it.

From all these areas I hope to make Grand Unified Theory of management/career progression. Many of the topics began to interlink creating a pattern of think and ideas. I will write this up as it happens during the course of constructing this blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.