Wednesday 9 July 2008

Performance Reviews

Had my performance review at work yesterday. Lots of good and some not
good points.

Firstly the good. Feedback from my team was great. Good leadership,
motivation, empowerment and good communications. Also was echoed by
some other teams I work closely with as well. This is greta and was
part of my career strategy to become so leadership skills and create a
great team. Plus a number of other teams we work with have also
comment on my coomunication skills and leadership through some tough
projects and work issues.

However, some bad feedback is I have on the odd occasion sent out
emails that have upset people and cast me in a bad light. This is a
difficult one as I have some times done this get a reaction, any
reaction as everyone is ignoring the issues or ignoring my requests.
However, the feedback has come from my Director that this isn't good
and has the tendency too wipe out all the good work I have done.

Part of me want to argue they were wrong, but due to my NLP studying I
realised their point of view is valid, as it is how the perceive the
issues and therefore so will others, which is how communications work.
I accepted the feed back and remembered the saying 'feedback is the
breakfast of champions'. So I have decided to resolve this tendency to
get upset and send out over emotional emails. I have added another
mission statement to my list and I am going to set myself some goals.
I have also tried to use NLP to re-program my mind not to react in
such a way. I usually know it is the wrong thing to do to send out
these emails. I imagine myself about to send out one of these emails
and the thought crosses my mind 'should I'. I tried to then associate
the trouble it causes me to the sending of the email and tried to
anchoring the words NO in bright white lights to appear in my mind. I
have also associated the the sense of relief once I realised it
shouldn't be send with deleting the email.

No comments: