Tuesday 26 August 2008

Feedback not failure

After watching the Olympics I have heard the NLP statement of
excellence 'there is only feedback not failure' in use several times
or with this meaning.

A number of the athletics who had missed out in 2004 said they gained
experience and drive to win this time around. Likewise many of those
who missed out his time have said they will use it as a learning
experience to ensure the win next time around.

Also read in the Metro a few weeks a go Peter Jones saying this was
his favorite quote.

A number of athletes recorded personal bests and still felt they had
they should have won or felt there is more to come. I hope that it
will still inspire them to continue in their sport and not get dis
heartened by not winning this time, recognize they have done well and
look to continuously improve for next time around.

I like to think of myself as someone how is very determined to reach
their goals, but from watching the Olympics I realise I have a lot to
learn. I do give up I think the tasks is beyond me and I try and find
an excuse as to why I couldn't complete it or win. I use to do Thai
Boxing and got very dis heartened when I was out sparred and felt I
could never win. I realise the fear of failure use to get to me. After
watching the "the contender Asia" and looking into the history of the
fighters you could see that they have all lost at some stage in their
careers, however the learn and come back for more.

I need to do this, I need to make sure I don't beat myself up over
failure or loss but learn from it instead. I need to use the feedback
to drive myself forward and not dwell on my past mistakes.

This easy to say. We shall see.

No comments: