Thursday 14 August 2008

New CV and covering letter with NLP

Re did my CV and covering letter using NLP techniques meta model
yesterday. I have upload it to the CV sites and I hope it will make a
big difference. I reviewed my old CVs and discovered that my CV from 2
years ago was better than my previous existing CV. I had removed all
the good flowing language patterns and replaced them with statements
of fact. I think this happened as I quickly updated my CV I just flung
in new skills and achievements with out thinking them through
properly.

In reviewing my old CV I was able to pick out the best bits, enhance
and create a new CV that flowed really well. I asked my wife to review
and she said, 'it was better than the previous one, it flowed better
and the information really leaped out at you'. I tried to create an
outcome to each skill or experience as in ' Management and development
of team of designers on multiple projects & skill sets to create
effective resource. This ensures the delivery of projects in company x
and ongoing availability of technical skills for succession planning.'
The outcome being continued delivery of projects and technical
resource.

After using it through a job application, I got an agency call me
within half an hour. They were particularly happy with my covering
letter.

Just thinking about my CV, it was all about meta model, I didn't
really think about apply filters to it at all.
I keep doing this, thinking about either filters or meta model, find
it hard to apply both at once.

On my CV though I don't think it is a big problem as the nature of the
CV is intentionally positive, towards, proactive, mixed between
dissociated/associated, matching and internal/externally referenced.
It tries to appeal across a number of filters in order to work for
numerous job applications.

If employing someone you wouldn't want a totally internally referenced
person, but you wouldn't want someone who only followed their own
standards. Same with associated and dissociated, a bit of passion goes
a long way to show you are motivated and can motivate others.

I may have another read……

Read.. Not much external reference, but then again why does there need
to be in this case. What value would an external reference have!!!

Towards in general with a few same away points in combination where
relevant. i.e saving costs.
Big or small chunk. Don't think either. You can't small chunk on a CV
as there isn't room. I think its just enough information to convey the
point.

Associated or dissociated. Not full of emotion, this is CV and I
suppose it does come from my point of view so there is a feeling of
association in the fact I am selling myself. Seems very neutral to me
any opinions!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.